1. Parents want to support their child’s learning at home but may feel hindered by a lack of curriculum knowledge, age-appropriate resources, time and know how. HSC provides this.
2. Resources ordinarily available in the classroom (but difficult/unavailable for purchase for individual children) are now made accessible for use by children/families in the home.
3. The resources are intended for use all year round at the parents and child’s convenience. Sometimes in our busy and scheduled lives, freedom and flexibility to support in the home in our own way and at our own convenience is crucial.
4. Children benefit from one-to-one attention and interest from their families further engaging them in their learning across both contexts.
5. The play instructions are simple and the activities/games are nearly all oral, interactive and fun. Focus is on family interaction and the sharing of learning; enhancing the child’s understanding rather than on performance, outcome and testing.
6. The phonics games are intended to prime, reinforce and stretch learning that goes on in school, not replace it.
7. No matter what the ability level of the child, families can move their child on from his/her own personal starting point. (e.g. help a struggling learner to gain knowledge/skills expected of their age; stretch the child performing at average or above average levels).