The first 10 games in the Words&Sounds Games Box are word, spelling and sentence making games using the word blocks. The next 10 games are phonics word making games using phase 2 and 3 sound cubes. The games are short (5-10 mins long) and use either mini wooden word blocks (62 x 20 mm) or wooden sound cubes (20 X 20 mm). Two full game instruction booklets are included, each consisting of 10 games each.
The word and sound games can be played at each phase of reading (Phase 2; Phase 3 and Phase 4). All games can be played throughout the academic year as the child’s reading progresses through DfES ‘Letters and Sounds’ phases 2, 3 and 4. Each game can be re-played by downloading the relevant level board (orange, purple or green).
- 57 wooden cubes (2cm x 2cm), supplied with 57 sound stickers. Small wooden cubes ideal for small hands to manipulate and learn with The cubes are high quality untreated hardwood that have a smooth to the touch surface
- 144 wooden blocks, supplied with 252 word stickers. Three tumbling tower block games each containing 48 blocks are included.
- Fabric drawstring bags to store the sound cubes and word blocks safely
- 4 game board pawns and 1 dice, perfect for game board play e.g. Sounds Snakes and Ladders, Word Ludo
- Sound cube game instruction booklet explaining how to play each of the 10 sound cube games
- Word block game instruction booklet explaining how to play each of the 10 word block games
- Block and cube preparation quick start instructions, explaining the phases of Letters & Sounds and which games to play in what order. The instructions also explain how to prepare the materials (using the word and sound stickers)
Game Board / Activity Sheet Downloads
All games can be played throughout the academic year as the child’s reading progressed through DfES ‘Letters and Sounds’ phases 2, 3 and 4. Each of the 20 games can be re-played downloading the appropriate colour coded board or activity sheet (at phase 2 – orange, phase 3 – purple, or phase 4 – green). The Words&Sounds Game Boards and Activity Sheets can be downloaded free from the website after purchase. Access is provided with a password.
Sound Games include: Complete the Word; Topple Tower; Sound Squares; Word Race; Crossword Cubes; Roll a Word; Wordsearch Bingo; Snakes and Ladders Sounds; Sound Ludo; Cube Words. A couple of example game boards can be viewed in the photo grid.
Word Games include: Word Shapes; Sentence Bridge; Tumbling Tower; Speed Read; Word Bingo; Mini Story; Ludo Word Wall; Topple like Dominoes; Spelling Challenge; Snakes and Ladders Words; Speed Spell. Some example game boards can be viewed in the photo grid above.