The Reception Reading Pack is aligned to Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) reading curriculum expectations and also Phases 2-4 of Letters and Sounds (DfES produced phonics programme for schools). Parents can use the guide and hands-on resources to help beginner readers learn the 49 sounds, make words using these sounds and also learn the top 100 high frequency words. There is also a very useful section on getting the most out of picture books and how to develop listening/reading comprehension skills in young children.
- A 48 page Parent Activity Guide by Educational Psychologist, Dr. Sangeeta Silva, to teach early reading and phonics.
- All 49 phase 2 and phase 3 Sound Flashcards.
- A set of 80 phase 2 and phase 3 Magnetic Sound Tiles. 77 tiles are printed and 3 blank/dry wipe.
- Nine Wooden Cubes comprising all of the phase 2 and phase 3 sounds.
- A set of 100 High Frequency Words Cards, colour coded according to the teaching order/phases.
- Magnetic wipe-board (24.5cm x 29.5cm), pen and eraser. A perfect educational aid, it is ideal for applying magnetic tiles or practising writing.
- Fabric Storage Bag to store all contents safely.
Anyone who purchases the Reception Reading Pack, will also gain free access to an accompanying instructional video. Parents will learn how to teach reading at home and get the most out of the supplied resources (sound cards; magnets; sound cubes; high frequency words). All activities explained in the guide are modelled by Dr. Silva and real families in a 45 minute demonstration video. Parents will receive a password to not only gain access to the instructional video, but also to enable the download of the Reception Reading Home Learning Progress Diary and some colourful Home Reward Sticker Charts.
A great complement to this pack is the Words&Sounds Games Box. The games in this box will help children practice their word knowledge and use of sounds through fun words and sounds tactile game play.