Benefits for Schools:
1. The games can be used across contexts and with pupils of differing needs:
- Small Group Phonics Sessions (Reception)
- Breakfast Clubs, After-School Clubs or Lunchtime Clubs
- “Stay and Play” Parent Phonics/Literacy Workshops
- Catch Up Literacy Sessions (for struggling readers across Reception, Year 1 and 2)
- Pupil Premium/Service Children/Looked After Children (Purchased by school for in school use)
- Pupil Premium/Service Children/Looked After Children (Purchased by school for at home use for any child reading at Reception level)
2. The games are fun, novel, durable, cost-effective and easily replaceable.
3. All game boards and activity sheets are supplied and downloadable, saving teachers valuable planning and preparation time
4. The games are aligned to Letters and Sounds and they can be played in particular, to consolidate skills at the end of each Letters and Sounds Phase.
5. Extra time can be spent playing games to reinforce childrens’ existing reading strengths or target gaps/weaknesses.
Benefits for Parents:
Research is unequivocal about the long-term benefits of parental involvement and engagement in a child’s learning. Specifically, the games box and reading pack activities have the following benefits:
√ Families can be involved in their child’s learning in a hands-on interactive way using concrete tactile materials that are appealing to children
√ The relevant words and sounds are all supplied making phonics learning accessible to families
√ Children make faster reading progress at home with fun reading games and tactile materials
√ The games/activities follow the same phonics teaching approach used in schools
√ The parent is empowered to support their child by being given the relevant knowledge and materials in an accessible way
√ The activities and games can be played throughout the whole year (at the different phases of reading 2, 3 and 4)