The Reception Reading Pack is designed to empower parents with the knowledge and relevant teaching materials to teach their child to read from the beginning or support their child’s reading development for Reception aged pupils who have started to learn how to read in school. The reading activities are short (5-10 minutes long) and use the materials supplied in the pack (e.g. sound flashcards; Magnets; Sound cubes etc.)
The Reception Reading Pack comes with a comprehensive guide that explains everything right from the beginning so that a parent does not need specialist knowledge to help their child learn to read at home. There is also an accompanying instructional video parents can access once they have bought the pack to learn how to teach reading at home and get the most out of the supplied resources (Sound cards; magnets; sound cubes; High Frequency Words).
There are five key activities children need to engage in to learn how to read effectively. The Reading Guide in the Reception Reading Pack explains how to do the following five activities in detail (with all accompanying resources to teach/practise activities 2, 3 and 4).
- Experience lots of picture books being read aloud
- Learn the 44 sounds/phonemes
- Learn to blend the sounds to make/read words
- Learn the high frequency words (including the common exception or ‘tricky’ words)
- Read a levelled reading scheme book, matched to the child’s current reading stage/book band (e.g. Oxford Reading Tree).